Google

Saturday, August 23, 2008

 

I guess Heath Ledger wanted to be a girl

I've been really excited about the new Batman movie, so I was pretty pumped when I talked my Mom into seeing it. After she got out of the theater, she called me to talk about the movie.

"Wasn't that movie great?"

"It was too confusing for me."

"...How was it confusing at all?"

"I couldn't tell who Joker was."

"Heath Ledger. He was the one in Brokeback Mountain." I mentioned Brokeback as a reference because I had seen it with my Mom, but somehow it just made her way more confused.

"OHHH, Brokeback Mountain! Was he the one that wanted to be the girl, or the other one?"

"What? Neither character in that movie wanted to be a girl."

"Michael! Stop being so difficult! You know what I mean. Was he the girl or the other one?"

"Okay, Mom, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. He was the blonde one."

"Was the blonde one the one that wanted to be the girl?"

"He was the one that wasn't married."

"Was the one that wasn't married the one that wanted to be a girl?"

This went on for quite a while until my Mom grew exasperated and began yelling at me. Whenever my Mom yells at me, she actually yells that she's not yelling and then explains that it is part of Korean culture to yell and get really angry for no reason. I was finally able to explain who Heath Ledger was to her when she asked me,

"Was the one who was more like John Wayne the one that wanted to be a girl?"

I took a minute to consider this ridiculous question at face value and responded, "Yes, Heath Ledger was the one that was more like John Wayne."

She started yelling at me excitedly, "There! Was that so hard?!"

Defeatedly, I responded, "Yes."

Comments:
I haven't seen the movie, but your conversation is sort of interesting from an anthropological standpoint, anyway. Among the cultures where being gay is accepted, virtually all of them require one of the partners to take on a female role. One guy 'being a girl' lets the (gender divided) society keep on running without any blips. There aren't really any cultures where both men are allowed to take the role of men.

Your mom is subconsciously speaking for the people of the world. Or something.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?